Wallington’s Quarry

Wallington’s Quarry or Wallington Mine was extended underground and used before 1895 when a more convenient slope shaft was cut. It is now used as an emergency exit from the Stoke Hill Quarry into which it connects. The history of this site is little known, but the Wallington family was quarrying here in the 1870’s and sending seven to eight loads of stone by horse and cart down to the railway station at Limpley Stoke at this time.