Engine Quarry

Siuated near Winsley and below the Murhill Quarry are two tunnels are located towards the back wall of the site of the lower surface quarry at Murhill. The tunnels are lined with dressed cut stone blocks.

Murhill Lower.jpg

These lower surface workings were known as Engine Quarry due to the steam-powered saw installed there in 1835 and used to cut the stone. It is understood that the two tunnels were used to either drain water from the underground workings higher up or, more likely, to utilise an underground spring to provide water for the boiler for the saw.