Horsecombe Quarry

Also known as Wansdyke Quarry (not to be confused with the one in Neston) this was the largest quarry on Odd Down situated between Wells Road and the Wansdyke. It was quite extensive,concentrating on walling stone and closed some time around the late 1930s. It supplied stone for the roads for the three Admiralty camps around Bath. It has now been tipped over and covered by playing fields and housing estates. It was worked by Mr. Jones at the turn of the century but was bought by Gazes (the National Landscaping & Tennis Court Company) and in the 1930s as many as 15 men worked here.

Stone from this quarry was supplied to build Longleat House in 1568